CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, February 21, 2010

The Sophists

First of all, let me clarify that i do not think the sophists were perfect. However, I approve of many of their ideas. On page 30 in Pojman's book ideals of the sophists are listed. One of them states "they embraced skepticism about ultimate reality and concentrated on that which is certain." I think that was a practical choice in interpreting life and what they need to accomplish because you cannot assess a situation without first acknowledging what is certain.Ex.) If you are trying to get out of a room, you have to isolate what you know from what you do not. You would know for certain that there are four walls, a ceiling, a floor,and a door in this room. Anything you figured out afterwords would not necessarily be certain knowledge until you tested it. You would need the certain knowledge to figure out what you do not know. One of my favorite questions that a sophist would ask is "how can i play the game of life and win?" (page 28.) I like that they tried to make the best of things instead of thinking why am I here? or how can I do good? They tried to make the best of their lives and took everything else into consideration after. They made money and got what they wanted and I can respect that.
Who do you like better,The Sophists or Socrates?

0 comments: